- Subwoofer Size Chart
- Subwoofer Size Chart – Car Subwoofers Sizes with Features
- Subwoofer Size Chart by Stereo Authority
- Subwoofer Size Chart Notes
- What Size Subwoofer do I Need for My Car
- Subwoofers and Amplifiers
- Subwoofer Size for Small Cars
- Final Notes and Opinions of Subwoofer Sizes
Subwoofer Size Chart
Welcome to the Stereo Authority Detailed Car Subwoofer Guide and Subwoofer Size Chart. We promise to discuss different categories of car subwoofers and divisions based on their size and dimensions. We get a lot of emails from confused people on what size of subwoofer is appropriate for their car and their situation. So, this Subwoofer Size Chart should help.
Subwoofers are an integral part of a car’s sound system for music lovers. They produce the bass (which can shake the car) and enables you to feel (not just hear) music’s sound vibrations. Stereo speakers actually have no room for bass, so that’s why subwoofers are required.
Properly tuned car stereo systems with a subwoofer create audio perfection. Many people have misunderstood the function of the subwoofer. They think that subwoofers will rattle their teeth, shatter their windows, and shake their bones. However, let me tell you, my dear readers, you are completely wrong.
Your subwoofer creates low-frequency sounds which round out the entire sound of your music. Without a subwoofer, you are missing out on half of your music. As such, realistic sound hinges on a good, balanced subwoofer to add good quality bass to the overall sound.
- Related Reading: The Best 5×7 Speakers.
Subwoofer Size Chart – Car Subwoofers Sizes with Features
The Subwoofer Size Chart consists of 4 different types of subwoofers.
- I have divided subwoofers into 8 inches, 10 inches, 12 inches, and 15 inches category.
- Along with this, I have added all the important features and the best-suited cars for every subwoofer size.
- Note, subwoofer sizes are measured from one end to the other, carefully marking the edges. That means an 8-inch subwoofer will be a full 8 inches in diameter.
- However, there may be variations in mounting hole diameter, depending on the manufacturer.
If you are searching for the good-sized, high-quality, subwoofer for your car, then this subwoofer size chart is for you. May it help you make the right selection of subwoofer size for your car.
Subwoofer Size Chart by Stereo Authority
|Subwoofer sizes||8 inch||10 inch||12 inch||15 inch|
|Weight||Lightweight||Lightweight||A little bit heavy||Heavier|
|Space Consumption||Take less space because of the smaller cone area||Take less space||Take a little bit more space||Take a large space|
|8-inch subwoofers have the minimum to a maximum power of 300-1200 watts||10-inch subwoofers have the min to max power of 150-1200 watts||2-inch subwoofers have a min to max power of 50 to 1200 watts or even 1300 watts||15-inch car subwoofers have the min to max power of
600 -5000 watts.
|Best suitable brandBOSS audio, Car audio, Planet audio AC8D, Rockford Fosgate P3SD2-8, Alpine Electronics PWE-S8, JL audio 8W7AE, Sundown audio X-8V.2, Kicker Solo-Baric L7, JL audio 8W3V3Skar Audio VD-10D2, Rockford Fosgate P300, Kicker 10C104 comp, Pioneer TSW261S4Rockford Fosgate P3D4, Dual BP1204, Kicker 10C124 comp, Pioneer TSW126M, Kenwood KFC-W3012, Pyle PL1290BL, MTX TNP212D2Orion HCCA152, NVX VCW 152, Boss P156DVC, Power Acoustik BAMF-152, Planet Audio AC15D, Rockford Fosgate punch P1S4-15, Massive Audio GTX154, Hifonics TW15D4 |
|Bass production and sound quality||Plays low-frequency notes very well and sound quality is very much good||Produces loud and crystal clear bass, much quicker in the punch, hit the low frequencies but not so much good in it||High-quality sound production with perfect loudness also generates low-frequency notes very well||Produces long resonance bass, best bass among all other subwoofers creates lower frequencies because of large cone area but sound quality lacks a little bit|
|Music type||Works best for Classic and jazz type music||Plays better for Rock, country and metal type music||Plays variety of music sounds better handles the snappy drums of rock type music||Works better for Rap, techno and r&b type music|
|Suitable cars||Small sized cars||Small cars||Medium sized cars||Big cars are required as this subwoofer is having a large cone area, that’s why big car’s space required for its proper placement.|
|Price||Affordable range||Affordable range||Affordable range||Affordable range|
Subwoofer Size Chart Notes
Here are some extra details on our size chart.
Frequency Based on Size
- The small, size 8-inch subwoofer is designed for creating low notes.
- While bigger 15-inch subwoofers, are designed to create higher notes because of its large cone area.
- It seems that mid-frequency ranges are best generated by lightweight cones, while low-frequency ranges are best produced by heavier cones.
Proper Car Subwoofer Placement
Along with this, proper placement of the subwoofer also determines the quality of sound production. I have given a proper compiled details above for you in the chart for each size.
What Size Subwoofer do I Need for My Car
Ok, so you are wondering which size subwoofer you need for your car, and you are still confused. There are a lot of good subwoofers out there, but not all of them are created equal. So let’s take a look.
To start, what size of the subwoofer you need for your car depends upon which kind of music you want to listen.
8 Inch Subwoofer Size Benefits
- The 8-inch subwoofer is the minimum sized subwoofer available for cars.
- This size subwoofer works best for acoustic music like classical and jazz.
- In fact, this small sized subwoofer gives you a detailed response to the frequencies that this type of music has.
- Note: You must also have good door speakers to work with subwoofers.
10 Inch Subwoofer Size Benefits
- Next, the 10-inch subwoofer will be a perfect subwoofer for you if you prefer rock or country music type.
- A 10-inch subwoofer is capable of moving more air (than an 8-inch), and that air produces a louder sound. It can feel like you are at a concert with this subwoofer’s crisper sound.
12 Inch Subwoofer Size Benefits
- Now, 12-inch subwoofers are the most versatile kind of subwoofers.
- In fact, they are even better than the large 15-inch subwoofers. As a result, you can enjoy a wide variety of music with these subwoofers.
- Also, 12 inch subwoofers handle the snappy drums of rock better than other sized subwoofers.
15 Inch Subwoofer Size Benefits
- If you are demanding more bass notes, then you should go for a 15-inch subwoofer,
- Rap music, for example, includes highly synthesized bass that benefits from a 15 inch subwoofer.
- A large volume of air is required for the production of good bass music, and for this purpose 15-inch subwoofers are the best.
- You can’t get this sound from a factory fitted speaker, or even the best aftermarket speakers. You need a large subwoofer to complete heavy bass sounds.
Subwoofers and Amplifiers
Finally, after you select the right subwoofer for your music needs, and then fit them properly. Then, you will need to balance everything with a properly sized amplifier.
An amplifier’s mid range, high range, and all the volume tuning should be properly done to complete your sound. However, know that the main things is to first buy a subwoofer according to your music preferences.
- If you planning to buy an amplifier, please read this guide.
Subwoofer Size for Small Cars
Of course, you will also need to consider your car’s available space for subwoofer placement.
If you have a small car, go for an 8-inch subwoofer. Whenever you are looking for a car subwoofer, assess the trunk space, in addition to your music requirements.
- Additionally, you should mount them properly in the trunk.
- Also, read here if you are looking for ways to get more bass out of your car subwoofer.
Final Notes and Opinions of Subwoofer Sizes
So I hope that now you have got the right answer of “what size subwoofer do I need for my car?” Just a few final thoughts:
- First, remember to check out your car’s space for the placement of subwoofer as it is also an important part of its selection.
- Also, check amplifier compatibility with the subwoofers. I have recently posted an article on why you should have subwoofers.
- I have also posted an article about subwoofers box designs for deep bass.
- Finally, you can read here about 6×9 car speakers.
My Subwoofer Size Preference
Personally, my favorite car subwoofers are 10-inch subwoofers, as I love rock music and these subwoofers give me a perfect quality sound with complete crispness. I was first introduced to nice subwoofers in my friend’s car a long time ago. After that, it urged me to put a 10-inch subwoofer in my car, and now I am just loving it.
However, I suggest you buy the subwoofer that suits your musical tastes and needs. Again, refer to the Subwoofer Size Chart and select the best-suited subwoofer for your car and the music style you like.
We took a lot of time and put a lot of research into our Subwoofer Size Chart. We hope it helps you in your decision between an 8 inch, 10 inch, 12 inch, or 15 inch subwoofer. You can select any size subwoofer to enhance your sound. Moreover, we are confident you can also find one that best suits your budget.
Have fun and good luck.
Team- Stereo Authority
Read here about: