- Best Speaker Cables
- Buyer’s Guide
- Frequently Asked Questions
Having a poor-quality speaker cable can affect the sound quality of your sound system. Thus, it is important to try and have the best quality speaker cable that you can get your hands on.
The best cable won’t make your sound system sound better, but it will pick up on every little detail, to make the sound clear, crisp, and enjoyable.
In this article, we have put together a list of the best speaker cables that you can purchase right now.
InstallGear’s 14 Gauge Speaker Wire is made with high-quality copper-clad aluminum. This wire is a good conductor for carrying sound and audio.
It is a very durable cable that can be particularly suited for car audio. This wire has a gauge rating of 14, which makes this cable have an average thickness for a wire.
With this cable, it has a soft jacket, which is really easy to strip. The jacket is also very flexible, due to the low memory feature.
Therefore, routing and installation are a breeze, as you can easily fiddle and move this wire to get it in the correct position.
Alongside this, we discovered that these wires come in two colors. This then made identifying the polarity a lot easier.
Overall, this is a durable, and flexible speaker cable, that is very easy to work with. The only downside is that it doesn’t come with any banana plugs for installation.
- Low Memory – The InstallGear speaker cable has low memory for easy routing and installation.
- Duel Colors – The cable is split into two colors, which makes identifying the polarity easy.
- Soft Jacket – The jacket is soft, which makes it easy to strip and helps with the flexibility of the cable.
- No Banana Plugs – This wire doesn’t come with any banana plugs, so you will need to purchase your own for this cable.
- 100-FEET (30.5m) [FROSTED BLUE/BLACK 14 GAUGE SPEAKER WIRE ] - The lower the gauge number, the thicker the wire. Thicker wire presents less resistance to current flow.
- COPPER CLAD ALUMINUM (CCA) - CCA wiring provides a good conductor for transmitting audio. This is the most economical option when choosing speaker wire.
- RUGGED PVC JACKET - Allows free, wide and seamless adjustment of the required physical properties of this wire such as flexibility, elasticity, and impact resistance.
- EASY POLARITY IDENTIFICATION - This two color jacket allows for easy polarity identification. Making a polarity mistake could be damaging to your audio equipment.
- SOFT TOUCH JACKET - The jacket on our cable is designed with the installer in mind. The flexibility of this jacket allows for easy routing and has a low memory.
The GeralT 12AWG Premium Heavy Duty Braided Speaker Cable comes pre-assembled ready to use, with banana plugs already installed.
Which saves you the hassle of having to strip the wire and attach the plugs yourself. Hence, a much simpler installation process.
The colors on each banana plug match the polarity that they need to be connected to. Thus, a simple and easy installation process.
This speaker cable is ideal for home stereo systems. It looks very stylish, due to the braided jacket that is wrapped around your speaker cable. This braided jacket offers your cable a lot more protection, but still allows it to be flexible like other speaker cables.
We liked how high quality this cable looked. The braided fabric jacket makes it look very tough, while the gold-plated banana plugs and brush aluminum connectors add a pinch of elegance to this cable. It looks very high quality and professional cable, yet at a very reasonable price.
- Banana Plugs – The GearIt speaker cable comes with the banana plugs already installed. This makes for a much easier installation yourself and less hassle.
- Appearance – This speaker cable looks very stylish and very high quality. This is due to the braided jacket and gold-plated banana plugs.
- Braided Jacket – The jacket on this cable is thick, yet it is still flexible. Therefore, it is easy to use and move. Whilst offering you the most protection possible.
- Installation – Through our research, we found that some customers had issues with the installation of the banana plugs. For some customers, they were not mounted properly and for others, they broke off really easily. This is something that you need to be aware of and watch out for when purchasing this speaker cable.
- Quick and easy installation for connecting a speaker to an A/V receiver or amplifier with banana plug style ports; Precision bolted interior banana plug terminations create a secure connection and a convenient alternative to cutting and terminating speaker wire with banana plugs *Package includes 1 cable*
- Maintain Best Audio and crisp clear sound with this dual conductor 12 AWG oxygen-free pure copper (OFC), color coding banana plug to enable matching polarity, high strand count wires in a no-slip PVC Y-Boot and a durable braided jacket
- High-end look with braided jacket wrapped around speaker wire, giving them extra protection to your speakers' finish allowing Pro-grade sound quality yet retaining the flexibility of ordinary speaker wire
- Professional Look packed with professional grade features, such as color-coded, brushed aluminum connectors, gold plated banana plugs, and braided fabric jacket, get the appearance of a professional installation without the cost and hassle
- Audiophile Equipment compatible with popular home theater equipment such as KEF LS50 Mini Monitor, Marantz PM-8005 Integrated Amplifier, Micca MB42X Bookshelf Speakers, Onkyo TX-8050 Network Stereo Receiver, Pioneer Andrew Jones Designed Center Channel Speaker / Bookshelf Loudspeakers / Floor standing Loudspeaker / Add-on Speakers for Dolby Atmos / Watt Powered Subwoofer, Polk Audio PSW505 12-Inch Powered Subwoofer, SMSL Class D Amplifier + Power Adapter and more!
The speaker cables from Mediabridge, using soldered banana plugs, create a safe and protective seal. You should no longer have to worry about your banana plugs falling off, or being loose while being used.
The banana plug conductors are color-coded, so you tell the difference between left and right. We then found that this made matching the polarity a lot easier.
This speaker cable is made with corrosion-resistant gold-plated connectors and oxygen-free copper wire. As a result, we found this speaker cable will provide you with clear sound quality and only minimal signal distortion if there is any.
The jacket is made from no-slip PVC Y-Boot which won’t shrink when it is exposed to heat. The jacket may be firm, but it is still really flexible. Otherwise, a very reliable and durable speaker cable.
- Soldered Banana Plugs – The banana plugs on this cable arrive already soldered onto the cable. Thus, you know that you are safe, and these cables are safe to be used straight away.
- High Quality – These Mediabridge speaker cables use high-quality materials, which then result in providing you with clear sound and minimal distortion.
- Durable – These cables will last you a long time. Their PVC jacket helps make these cables durable and strong to be used again and again. They may look firm, but these wires can be vented easily to the space they are put in.
- Thick – This does depend on where you are putting these cables. Yet, some customers felt that these cables were a little thick when being put into small and tight areas. This isn’t a huge flaw, but it is something to keep in mind.
Also available to purchase from Mediabridge.
- Soldered banana plug terminations create a secure connection with your speaker’s terminals and make this Mediabridge speaker cable the best long-term choice for your high quality speaker system. CL2 rated for in-wall applications. *Package includes 1 cable*
- Dual conductor 12 AWG, with color coding to distinguish left from right to enable matching polarity. Brass/copper banana plugs for typical and custom installs alike.
- Corrosion-resistant gold-plated connectors and oxygen-free stranded copper wire (high strand count) provide clarity, natural sonic accuracy and minimal signal distortion.
- Maintain integrity even when bent, with a no-slip PVC Y-Boot and a durable, yet flexible nylon sheath. Pro-grade quality suitable for audiophiles, without the hassle of cutting and fiddling around with your own speaker wire.
- Speaker Wire, speaker cable, banana plugs, 12AWG, 12 gauge, stereo, custom, high-end
Compared to the other speaker cables we have spoken about so far, we found the Hosa speaker cables a much simpler and stripped-back cable.
This cable has a rating of 14 AWG, making this a thin yet heavy-duty use. From our research, we learned that Hosa is relied upon by musicians.
The wire is made from copper and enclosed in a black jacket that keeps you safe and protected. These speaker cables are generally used in amps to speakers, as they are widely used by musicians.
Although overall, these cables are high quality, yet at a very reasonable and affordable price. These are the perfect budget speaker cables.
- Price – These Hosa speaker cables are ideal for anyone who is on a budget. They are very affordable and still of great quality.
- Jacket – The black jacket that encompasses the copper wire. This keeps it safe for use, and durable.
- Thin – These cables are quite thin, thus they can fit into tight and awkward places.
- Reputation – Hosa is a very reliable brand and is well-loved by musicians.
- Soldering – Some customers noted that the soldering was a hit or miss on some cables. Some of the copper wires were cut too short and not included in the soldering joint. It isn’t a huge issue, but just something to be aware of.
Also available to purchase from Hosa.
- 14 AWG for heavy-duty use
- Black jacket cable design
- Length 3' (0.9 M)
- 1/4" To 1/4" Male speaker cable
The KabelDirekt speaker cable is made in Germany. This speaker cable is extremely flexible and made using high-quality materials.
KabelDirekt has made this cable with 0.2 mm strands of pure copper, while the jacket is made from PVC. We then learned that this combination created a wire that has a perfect signal and is very durable for the long term.
This speaker cable is very versatile and can be used to connect your home cinema, speaker system, or your HiFi. These cables are very easy to install, and with a polarity marking on the outside, you can connect these cables within minutes.
Super flexible and with a 36-month warranty, you can rely upon this product to give you a crisp and hassle-free listening experience.
- Flexible – The KabelDirekt speaker cables are very flexible, which makes them easy to work with when installing.
- Polarity Marking – There is a marking on the outside of the cable that tells you which wire will fit in where. This makes connecting the right polarities a lot easier.
- Versatile – This speaker cable has a lot of uses. It will give you a great listening experience whether it is installed into your HiFi or your home cinema. These wires are reliable and will work no matter where you put them.
- Warranty – This cable comes with a 36-month warranty, in case you aren’t happy with the product.
- Stripping – Through our testing, we found it difficult to strip the wire without snipping off any copper strands. This can be achieved with a little practice, but it was a bit more difficult than we were expecting.
- Made in Germany: State-of-the-art manufacturing practices and rigorous standards ensure a flexible speaker cable of the highest quality
- Made using the highest quality materials: We use 0.2mm strands of pure copper and a durable yet flexible PVC sheath to achieve exceptional signal quality and longevity
- Perfect sound quality: Connect your HiFi, home cinema or speaker system with high-end cables from KabelDirekt for an unforgettable sound experience
- Easy to install: With no stiff shielding material inside and a polarity marking on the outside, your KabelDirekt cable is both, thin and flexible as well as easy to install
- 36 months warranty: We know you’ll love your KabelDirekt product, which is why we’ve included a 36 month warranty.
A speaker cable is a wire that we use for the connection between speakers and amplifiers. You should do your research before buying any cable, as you want to make sure that it will give you the best performance.
Yet also, you want to make sure that it is safe to use. This is because electricity will be running through the cable. You don’t want anything to happen that could either ruin your sound system or put anything or anyone in danger.
Below, we have put together a short guide, on some of the things that you need to consider.
All speaker cables have three different electrical qualities which are, inductance, capacitance, and resistance. The resistance is the most important you should look into with any cable.
As cables that have a low resistance will allow more of the source power to go through the cable, which means more sound.
Resistance can be affected by the wire length. Thus, the shorter the cable, the shorter the resistance the cable will have.
As a result, buying really long cables isn’t necessary and is actually hindering your sound quality, because you are adding more resistance between the sound systems.
For example, you want to make sure that your speakers are evenly apart, but the cable between those speakers should be as minimal as possible. This way, you create as little resistance as possible between the speakers, so they both have the same sound quality.
Hence, when you are buying your speaker cable, think about how much length you really need. You can always buy more and cut it down to the correct size, but you don’t have to buy vast amounts. This will then save you money.
Gauge is all to do with the thickness of your cable. The thicker your wire is, the lower the gauge will be and again the lower the resistance will be.
You may not think that the thickness is very important, but it is something to think about. Especially as the thickness could affect the resistance.
However, in a more practical sense, the thickness of the cable could make it more difficult to install the cable.
If you have a tight or awkward place to install the cable, a thicker cable may struggle to fit in the space. Therefore, the thickness of the cable is something you should keep in mind.
As we were just talking about thickness, we should probably talk about flexibility. No matter the thickness of your cable, you need it to be flexible. This way you can easily install the wires, and they’ll be able to bend and allow the current to run smoothly.
If your wire is stiff, then it will be difficult to put into place and is more likely to break. The jacket of the wire will be more likely to break if the cable isn’t flexible, and if it breaks then the cable could start to become faulty.
Hence, the flexibility of the cable you choose is quite important, as it will help with the durability of the cable. If the cable is flexible, then it can easily fit in anywhere, but be used again somewhere else.
You may have noticed that all of the cables we have mentioned in our article, are made from copper. This is due to copper being an extremely cheap material to use, and it also has a naturally low resistance.
Yet the downside to copper is that over time it will oxidize. Therefore, to stop this from happening, the copper wire needs to be insulated and protected.
If pure copper is exposed to air, then a reaction takes place and copper oxide is produced, on any of the exposed areas. On a cable, this causes issues, because these exposed areas that have now oxidized are now creating a barrier between the cable and speaker.
Thus, it can actually weaken the connection and make the cable unreliable. As a result, if you use a copper cable, you want to make sure that the jacket that protects the wire is strong and durable.
Otherwise, you will have exposed wire at some point, which will then downgrade the functionality of your cable.
You can get your hands on silver cables, however, these are a lot more expensive than copper. However, the silver wire has a lower gauge and lower resistance compared to copper wires.
Yet, a thicker copper wire is actually cheaper than a thin silver wire. Hence, you need to think about your budget with this one.
Gold can also be used, however, this is quite rare, as gold has a high resistance. Yet it does not oxidize, but it is quite rare to have a speaker cable with gold wiring.
Yet with any metal that you choose to use, the purer the metal is, the more expensive the cable is going to be.
Ideally, you want a copper wire as that is quite a low cost, with a very durable jacket to keep it protected.
If you have the funds, then maybe look into silver speaker cables, but they will be much more expensive and on the upper end of the market.
Having a good quality speaker cable is important, as it will help give you a reliable sound quality in your speaker system.
You want a speaker cable that has low resistance and a low gauge, as these will give you a better sound quality. Alongside that, the wire inside the cable should be reliable.
We have given you all the information that you need to know about buying a speaker cable. We have also given you the best speaker cables on the market right now.
Therefore, there is now no reason to not set up your sound system to sound as perfect as possible.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can Your Speaker Cable Be Too Thick?
There is no such thing as a too thick speaker cable. The thicker the cable, the lower the resistance that the speaker cable will have. This will then give you a better signal flow and a better sound quality.
It has to be said that not every setup needs a super thick cable, and the thickness you need depends on your speaker. However, overall, there is no such thing as a speaker cable being too thick. Being thick is actually a good thing.
Are Silver Speaker Cables Better Than Copper Cables?
Copper is the main material that is used in wiring as it is so cheap. However, silver wire is a lot more conducive and can make your sound system sound brighter. Therefore, it may give you a slightly better sound quality, but it is a lot more expensive.
Copper is a very reliable cable choice. Although, if you have the sufficient funds, you may want to try a silver cable and compare the differences.
Last update on 2022-12-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API