- 0.1 Why Is My Car Stereo Getting Hot?
- 0.2 Why Is My Car Stereo Getting Hot?
- 0.3 Other Causes of Overheating Car Stereos
- 0.4 Adding a PC Fan for Cooling Car Stereo
- 0.5 Tips for Keeping Your System Cool
- 1 Final Words on “Why Is My Car Stereo Getting Hot”
Why Is My Car Stereo Getting Hot?
Here is one we hear a lot, “Why is my car stereo getting hot?” Is it suppose to do that? There are a few reasons your stereo could be getting hot; however, in general, most systems do not have this problem as their built in fan systems typically do a good job of keeping them cool.
Every once and a while, stereos do overheat. So, let’s look at what can be causing this heat in some detail the possible causes of overheating of car stereos.
Why Is My Car Stereo Getting Hot?
There can be a number of reasons, but the most common cause is the faulty wiring.
As an important note, there is no problem if the car stereo is getting warm during the drive. You should be concerned only if the car stereo is too hot to touch, or if it gets hot quickly after starting the car.
Steps to Check for Faulty Wiring
- First, I recommend checking the entire installation system of the stereo to avoid any damage to car electrical wiring. Check the electrical wiring of the car stereo carefully, and then match it with the instruction manual.
- In addition, if you installed the car stereo system at home by yourself, I recommend getting it checked by a technician.
- For assistance, I have posted an article on installing a car stereo. Give it a read if you are facing problems installing car stereo at home.
- If you don’t find any possible cause, go for a detailed service of the entire car stereo system. Dust trapped in the car stereo can also be the possible cause and answer to your question of why is my car stereo getting hot?
Other Causes of Overheating Car Stereos
There can be many other possible causes for the overheating of your car stereo. I will briefly mention a few:
Poor Quality Brand
This is one of the major reasons for the overheating of any car stereo. Cheap brands use low-quality manufacturing materials that end in problems including overheating of the car stereo.
This is again one of the major causes of the overheating of the car stereo. Check the entire wiring to correct the possible cause and let your stereo perform at optimum levels. I have posted a guide on car stereo wire colors, give it a read.
Check Car Battery
If there is an issue in the electrical wiring of the car, it can lead to a faulty car stereo that may end up heating. Check the power cables of the stereo that get attached to the main power supply. Also, check the electric wiring from the car battery to prevent any damage.
A Dirty Car Stereo
Now many people neglect this one, if your car stereo is filled with dust, this will prevent air entry that may lead to overheating. I recommend keeping your car interior clean – especially the car stereo.
A clean car stereo performs better than a dirty and dust filled stereo that may end up with many issues. I have seen many people who are looking for a new car stereo, and they can’t even keep the one they have tidy and clean. People are ready to spend more, but it is difficult for many to keep it clean and dust free.
Adding a PC Fan for Cooling Car Stereo
Now, this may surprise many. Yes, I am talking about adding a customized fan on the top of the car stereo.
Yes, just saw this amazing video, a fan send me. He used a modified PC fan and attached it to his car stereo, and the result was amazing. His car stereo stopped being heated and performed well during the entire journey.
Let me explain it in detail:
One of my readers had issues with his car stereo. His stereo would overheat immediately after he played any CD. He checked the wiring and performed a detailed service, but the overheating issue remained the same. Eventually, he realized that it was the manufacturing’s fault (see poor quality brands).
He had bought a low-quality brand that just focused on keeping the price down, and the end result was this faulty car stereo. Now he had two options: either to buy a new one or to find a solution.
Our genius reader-friend found a unique solution. He removed the car stereo and attached a modified PC Fan on the top of the car stereo with a harness. (The PC fan was secured with a harness on both sides of the stereo.) Now, once the fan was properly attached to the stereo, he attached the power cables of the fan to stereo wiring. This ensured that whenever car stereo is turned on, the fan will automatically turn on too.
This resulted in keeping the stereo at optimum levels and eliminated the issue of overheating. Consequently, that’s why I always recommend going for a quality brand. Read here about Best Double Din Car Stereo.
Tips for Keeping Your System Cool
- Now, the majority of car stereos come with a factory-fitted small cooling fan attached to it that keeps the temperature under limits. Just make sure it is working right.
- Also, I recommend that if you plan on taking a long drive in summer, check the air conditioning system before you leave.
- Finally, I suggest turning off the car stereo when your cabin heating system is on if you are having issues.
Final Words on “Why Is My Car Stereo Getting Hot”
I hope after reading this detailed article on the overheating of the car stereo, you will have a better understanding of how things work. I have explained all the possible causes of overheating, and along with that, I have given you methods to prevent overheating of the car stereo.
Team- Stereo Authority