Audioengine S8 Review
This is our review of the Audioengine S8 Subwoofer.
A subwoofer produces low-pitched audio frequencies with richness and fullness to create a flawless bass sound.
Poor quality sound will greatly hinder your listening experience, though many individuals will decide to invest in a high-quality, costly sound system to avoid such issues, a subwoofer provides a viable option.
As a brand, Audioengine is recognized for producing many strong contenders in the speaker and subwoofer market. Their selection of products boast versatile and aesthetically pleasing designs supported by excellent sound quality.
The Audioengine S8 subwoofer can be used in conjunction with speakers from the brand or purchased as an upgrade to an existing music system. It is also designed for fast audio and home theatre performance with precise bass and low frequency.
If you are contemplating the purchase of the Audioengine S8 subwoofer but are uncertain as to whether it is the right piece of equipment for you, we have compiled a detailed review below.
We have analyzed the specifications of the unit along with the features that we like and those that could benefit from improvement. Continue reading if you would like to find out more.
Speaker Size: 8 inches
Weight: 30 lbs
Material Construction: 15.6mm MDF cabinet
Power Output: 250W total peak power
Amplifier Type: Class D
Inputs: ⅛” mini-jack, RCA LR
Driver: 8” long-throw down-firing woofer
Frequency Response: 27 Hz-180Hz ±1.5 dB
Ports: single front port design
Compatibility: built-in or external preamps, powered and passive speakers, analog output TV, CD/DVD players, games consoles, and devices with compatible outputs
Included: S8 subwoofer, audio cables, RCA cables, guide
The Sound Quality
One of the most important considerations when assessing the worthiness of a speaker or subwoofer is of course the sound quality. You don’t want to invest in any sort of sound equipment only to discover that it provides low-quality, inaudible sound.
Impressively, this unit produces powerfully, tight and smooth bass that is more than likely to cater to the majority of your home listening demands. It does not create a lot of distortion even when listening to audio at higher volumes.
While it copes exceptionally well with heavy bass sounds, it also enhances the quality of other varieties besides music such as TV and movie audio. The build quality of this unit is most definitely reflected in the quality of the sound that is produced.
If you are looking for a subwoofer that isn’t going to disappoint in terms of sound quality and experience the Audioengine S8 provides a strong contender.
Auto-Sleep Power Saving Mode
A feature that we particularly favor is the auto-sleep power-saving mode. As implied, this feature will automatically stop the unit from operating if it is unused for an extended period.
Ultimately, this will help to preserve power because the unit isn’t operating unnecessarily.
Many speakers, particularly those from the Audioengine range can be wirelessly connected. Although this isn’t the case with the S8 subwoofer, it is possible to invest in the Audioengine W3 wireless adapter which will transform this subwoofer into a wireless-ready unit.
Ultimately, this isn’t going to deter from how well the unit performs. It is also unlikely that the wires are going to be an eyesore because they typically tend to be placed in more hidden areas of the home.
The Build Quality And Durability
The S8 subwoofer has been made from high-quality materials such as the 15.6mm thick MDF cabinet and elomaster feet.
Aside from this, it also has an anti-resonant steel frame and heavy-duty rubber surround. Whilst this is of course evident in the feel and robustness of the unit, it is also reflected in the quality of sound that is produced.
A great thing about this subwoofer is that it can complement most home setups. The versatility of this unit means that it can be used to listen to music but it can also be connected to built-in or external amps, video games consoles, CD and DVD players, and televisions.
Because of this, you aren’t solely restricted to musical applications because it can be used to project TV and movie audio too. Additionally, the dual line-level input allows you to connect the necessary cables for your equipment with ease.
Each of the controls are displayed on the rear panel of the unit making it easy to use, particularly for those who lack previous experience of using a subwoofer. While the power button and cable connection are positioned at the bottom of the panel, at the top you will find the input ports.
There are also controls for the crossover, phase, and volume so you can alter them according to your environment and requirements. Just below, the phase controls there is a light that will illuminate green when the unit is in use, though this will transform to amber when standby mode is activated.
It is also fairly easy to set up which is again going to be appreciated by those who are new to using a subwoofer. As a result, you can begin using your equipment and enjoy the high-quality sound in a matter of minutes.
Should you require assistance when attempting to use this subwoofer you are provided with a quick start guide which can be referred to as and when required for guidance when using the unit.
- The Size – Compactly sized, this subwoofer provides a great option for those who do not have a lot of available space to store a bulkily sized unit. Instead, it can be stored out of the way in the corner of the room or even behind furniture if you would prefer. Though it may be small, it doesn’t compromise on the quality of the sound produced and how well it performs.
- The Design – A great thing about this subwoofer is that it is simplistically designed and rather aesthetically pleasing. Because of this, it is more than likely to complement most interiors without appearing obtrusive. Additionally, it features 4 sturdy legs which ensure that it can be positioned stably.
- The Warranty – this subwoofer is backed by a 3 year transferable warranty just like all other products offered by the brand. This ensures that you are protected against any product defects or performance issues. This will also provide you with more confidence when making your purchase because the company is responsible for repairing or replacing the product. The brand itself has a reputation for responding and rectifying issues with immediacy.
- Performance – according to existing customer reviews, the Audioengine S8 performs impressively well with many praising the quality of sound even when used with different applications. Thanks to the flexibility situated on the rear panel of the unit, you can choose between a bolder bass or audio with more subtlety.
- The Quality – the overall quality of this subwoofer positions it as a strong contender against market competitors. Made from high-quality materials, this unit is robustly built to ensure that it delivers long-lasting use. Not only does it boast an impressive build quality but this quality is also replicated through the audio and sounds that it produces too.
- Setting Up The Unit – the Audioengine S8 comes fully assembled so that it can be taken out of the box and used right away. Setting up the unit is also a straightforward process and this is something that is bound to be appreciated by those who do not have previous experience of preparing a unit ready for use.
- The Price – The cost of this subwoofer exceeds the $300 price range which some may find rather heftily priced in comparison to offerings from competitor brands. This may make it an unsuitable option for those who are working with a more restricted budget. Despite this, you should expect the price to be reflected in the build quality and sound quality of the unit.
- The Standby Function – some customers have reported that they have experienced issues when attempting to use this unit after it has gone into standby mode. Essentially, you have to increase the volume of the subwoofer to encourage it to begin functioning normally. You can then turn the volume down to a normal level once it has resumed.
- Lacks Wireless Connectivity – unfortunately, this unit does not come with built-in wireless and Bluetooth connectivity which positions it at a slight disadvantage when compared to other models. Although there is the option to select the wireless adapter, some users may have preferred this to come as a built-in feature.
- The S8 Subwoofer delivers great bass performance and provides LOW, TIGHT AND SMOOTH BASS.
- FEATURES 8-inch powered down-firing subwoofer, auto-sleep power saving mode, solid hand-finished, front-ported MDF cabinet, dual line-level inputs (RCA and mini-jack) and LFE, frequency response: 27Hz - 180Hz (+/-1.5dB).
- WORKS WITH Turntables with built-in or external preamps, all powered and passive speakers, TVs with an analog output, CD and DVD players, video game consoles and all products with 1/8" mini-jack or RCA outputs.
- WHAT’S INCLUDED: Audioengine S8 Subwoofer, RCA cables, power and 1.5m mini-jack audio cables, quickstart guide.
- WARRANTY: Audioengine builds quality speakers that they stand behind. All Audioengine products come with a 3-year transferable warranty.
Final Thoughts: Audioengine S8 Review
The Audioengine S8 is a robustly built unit that is equipped with plenty of power.
It is compactly sized and isn’t going to consume a huge amount of room inside your home. It performs very well and produces impressive sound and audio.
Aside from this, it is also a versatile unit that can not only be used to compliment music setups but also many other applications that produce audio.
While few elements could benefit from improvement such as the lack of wireless connectivity, overall it is a worthy option that is bound to meet your expectations.
Last update on 2021-05-03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API