If you have the space or are a true audiophile, a great pair of floor speakers will bring unprecedented sound quality and volume to your entertainment system. Their added size means more features, deeper bass, finer treble and a far richer sound quality.
However there are a lot of speakers and it can be hard to determine which has the best performance and quality. This is because audio accessories are laden with jargon which can make it very difficult to understand which speaker is best for you.
Even experienced audiophiles don’t always fully understand the latest features that speakers use, but with various different frequency ranges, cone sizes and types of speaker it isn’t really surprising.
There’s a lot to know about speakers and it can take a lot of research to even grasp the fundamentals, before you even get into deeper aspects of the hobby.
To help you find a speaker that’s right for you we’ve compiled a list of some of the absolute best floor speakers currently available and have focused on making this guide easy to understand while trying to explain where things get a little more complex.
If you still have questions or want to learn more about floor speakers, their features and things to look out for, check out our buyers guide at the bottom of this article. There’s also an FAQ to answer some of the frequently asked questions we see regarding speakers.
Dayton Audio have produced several great speakers in recent years and the T652 is definitely in the mix with some of the best available.
This is one of the higher quality models made by Dayton and this is reflected in the features and performance of these speakers.
The dual 6.5” woofers are bigger than a lot of woofers in floor speakers, and as such they have larger cones which provide deeper bass which is very comprehensive and delivers plenty of volume. This makes up for the fact that there are only two instead of three woofers, which some competing models benefit from.
Whether or not you’d prefer 3 slightly smaller woofers or 2 larger ones as in the T652, it really depends on how direct you want your sound to be. Overall you won’t be disappointed with the bass capabilities of these speakers and they’ll be able to comfortably handle most lows especially in larger spaces.
The dual woofers are complimented by a very small 15mm tweeter, which has a ferro-fluid cooling system to help increase the performance of the speakers and prevent overheating when dealing with high levels of use, particularly when dealing with high frequencies.
The case of the Dayton has a bass-reflex design which essentially means that the audio quality is improved and free of interference and distortion, preventing cancellations from occurring.
Overall this speaker has great performance and a sleek design with some nice features and very competitive audio quality.
- Dual 6-1/2″ woofers
- Tweeter speaker
- Deep bass to 45 Hz
- Great Sound Quality
- Good Size
- Quite heavy
- Dual 6-1/2" woofers provide superb bass power and punch
- 5/8" polycarbonate dome tweeter with ferrofluid cooling
- Slim-profile tower cabinet won't overwhelm your room
- Ported bass-reflex design delivers extended, deep bass to 45 Hz
- Clarity and detail that is exceptional in this price class
The T50 is a great option featuring several specialized speakers for maximum fidelity and range.
The two 6.5” woofers provide superb lows thanks to their wide cones, enabling you to really feel the bass even in a large space.
These are supported by a 6.5” driver which can focus on a nice mid-range, filling out the sound with crystal clear mids to compliment the great foundation that the T50’s woofers provide.
Using a 6.5” cone helps this driver not to get drowned out by the ample bass this speaker provides. Finally we have the 1” tweeter at the top of the stack to give the high range plenty of pop, allowing it to cut through when needed without overwhelming the sound profile and sounding too tinny.
These speakers work well for a diverse entertainment system, from gaming to music and movies, and can be set up alongside some of Polk’s other offerings to provide a complete 5.1 surround sound experience at home, which will provide a cinema-like experience without needing to venture out.
The finish of the speakers is quite minimal allowing them to blend in nicely and the stand feels solid for the safety-conscious.
- Amazing sound quality
- Surround sound compatible
- 6.5” drivers
- 6.5” bass radiators
- 1” Tweeter
- Quite tall
- GET SUPERIOR HOME THEATER EXPERIENCE WITH IMMERSIVE SURROUND SOUND & HI-RES AUDIO. Featuring a 1" tweeter, a 6.5" Driver and (2) 6.5" Bass Radiators. The 2 bass radiators augment the main woofer and produce a well-balanced, natural warm sound reaching the far corners of the room
- AMPLIFY YOUR MOVIE, MUSIC AND GAMING EXPERIENCE with this T-series speaker that not only sounds brilliant but also heightens your audio experience. Fill any small to medium sized room, produce captivating lifelike sound, which pulls you right into the heart of the action
- CREATE A FULL-FLEDGED 5.1 HOME THEATER SETUP with the complete range of T-series speakers from Polk with two T50 Tower Speakers, one T30 Center Channel, two T15 Bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer
- Polk speakers are COMPATIBLE WITH MOST HOME THEATER AV RECEIVERS giving you many setup arrangement options - in single or multi-room with 2.0, 2.1, 3.1 systems or an immersive 5.1, 7.1 or 9.1 setup
- POLK'S UNMATCHED QUALITY AT AN AFFORDABLE PRICE. With these value-priced speakers, you can now enjoy premium acoustics, high quality construction, easy setup and a spectacular theater experience right at home
3. Sony SSCS3
Sony is one of the biggest names in the entertainment industry, and their products in the audio industry are some of the best-regarded thanks to their years of experience and development, as well as access to some of the best facilities in the world.
THE SSCS3’s are clearly a product of this experience, and deliver superb sound quality across the board.
Featuring a 3-way, 4 speaker bass system that has 5.25” woofers, this system is capable of providing very direct and high-quality bass that isn’t as warm and fuzzy as some of the bass provided by bigger cones.
The cones themselves use Mica fibers to provide reinforcement and ensure that the woofers hold their shape and continue to deliver excellent sound quality even under the highest speed and pressure the speakers can offer.
The ¾” Super Tweeter is small but gives an immersive feel, and is capable of up to 50000 Hz which puts it firmly in HD audio territory.
The finish is great as you’d expect from a Sony product, with subtle branding and a flared base for stability.
- Great sound quality
- Dedicated tweeter
- Manageable size
- 3-way 4 Speaker setup
- 6 ohm Speaker Impedance
- Slightly smaller cones
- 3-way, 4-speaker bass-reflex system, 5-1/4 inches Foamed-Mica Cellular Reinforced Woofer, 1 inch Polyester Main Tweeter
- 3/4 inches Sony Super Tweeter for immersive sound staging, Sound Reproduction to 50kHz (for High Resolution Audio), 6 ohm Speaker Impedance
- Optimized Crossover componentry for a clear audio path, 145 W Maximum Input Power, One Speaker per Carton
Pioneer is another very well-respected name in this industry, and this speaker reinforces their reputation for quality.
This speaker is designed to bring studio-level sound quality to your home, providing you with several features to help achieve this.
The first and most noticeable is the curved design which helps focus the audio and prevent leakage and any cancellation issues.
The three 5.3” woofers make for outstanding bass performance, while the 1” soft-dome tweeter allows the highs to cut through when they need to, creating a perfect balance.
The hidden secret of this speaker however is the high-performance 8 component crossover which handles the audio superbly, ensuring that the different speakers within this system receive the correct signals efficiently, drastically improving the overall sound quality.
The finish is nothing special but it is relatively minimal allowing it to fit in almost anywhere, and the flared base helps keep things stable even when the bass starts to pump.
- Curved Cabinet
- Deep Bass
- Quality Tweeter
- Sleek build
- Great sound quality
- Quite tall
- ANDREW JONES. From speaker designer Andrew Jones comes a collection of speakers that bring professional-quality sound to your living room. These highly-acclaimed bookshelf loudspeakers deliver on sound, creating an immersive listening experience.
- CURVED DESIGN. These speakers utilize a RF Molded Curved Cabinets design to reduce internal standing waves, resulting in high-performance and exceptional sound quality.
- FEEL THE BASS. A structured surface with oversized magnets improves rigidity and bass accuracy. A vented pole piece also improves bass response for deep, beautiful sound.
- TWEETER EFFICIENCY. To widen the sweet spot of the 1-inch High Efficiency Soft Dome tweeter, we’ve engineered a custom wave guide. Increasing tweeter efficiency, together an 8-Element Complex Crossover, allows the SP-FS52 to bring the sound.
- COMPLEX CROSSOVER. 8 Element Complex Crossover perfectly blends audio between the woofer and tweeter for greater accuracy.
This offering from Klipsch is one of the most stunning looking systems in this list, with bronzed cones and stand footing.
The tweeter is designed to minimize distortion via a bespoke suspension system that allows the speaker to provide excellent efficiency and detail, giving the high range superb clarity.
Unlike the other systems in this list, the R-610F isn’t a 3 or 4-way system, and it only had a single mid-range woofer to take care of the low and mid-range.
You may think this affects the sound quality, however, the quality of the Klipsch woofer means that it still provides a crisp, well-balanced sound in part due to a more streamlined crossover.
- Great sound focus
- Good tweeter
- Good airflow
- Light but quality woofers
- Balanced Presentation
- Quite heavy
- 2 Pack R-610F Floorstanding Home Speaker - Grille (installed) - 2 Feet - 4 Screws - Quick Setup Guide - Warrant
- TRACTRIX HORN TECHNOLOGY - Klipsch exclusive 90x90 Tractrix horn technology ensures that the R-610F high frequency energy is aimed at the listener and reduces artificial reverb or filtering caused by indirect sound bouncing off of walls. Using this proprietary focused technology gives you the best clarity, dynamics, and detail
- Klipsch exclusive Linear Travel Suspension (LTS) - aluminum tweeter minimizes distortion for enhanced, detailed performances. Using Kapton, an extremely light and rigid material, in the tweeter suspension provides high efficiency and improve resolution and detail. LTS tweeters are a hallmark of Klipsch speakers
- SPUN COPPER IMG WOOFERS - Injection Molded Graphite (IMG) woofer cones are exceptionally light while being extremely rigid providing remarkable low frequency response, with minimal cone breakup and distortion. When paired with the Tractrix Horn-Loaded LTS Tweeter, it provides speaker efficiency highest in its class.
- REAR TRACTRIX PORT - The rear Tractrix port is perfectly matched to the cabinet and woofers, creating ideal airflow with minimal distortion or turbulence even at the lowest frequencies.
As you’ve probably noticed, there is a lot of information to know about floor speakers, and there are a lot of different brands offering a variety of features.
This can make finding the right speaker for you a very difficult process, and it can cause a lot of hassle having to return such large speakers if they aren’t a good fit for you.
This is why it’s so important to know a bit about floor speakers so that you can make sure you’re getting everything you need at the best value possible.
In this buyers guide, we’re going to look at some of the most important factors when it comes to buying a system such as this, to ensure you’re getting the best performance possible.
If you have further questions feel free to check out the FAQ section at the bottom.
Floor speakers are some of the largest and most well-equipped speakers in the audio world. When compared to desk speakers or even shelf speakers they tend to offer a lot more performance, due in large part to the fact that they can house far more in their bodies.
Larger speakers can typically house bigger cones, bigger drivers as well as separate, specialized speakers to ensure you’re getting the best audio quality possible.
For example, floor speakers will almost always have subwoofers as well as a dedicated tweeter, to give a super balanced and rich sound.
This can’t usually be matched by smaller speakers, which will mean audiophiles seeking the best sound possible will want to pay attention to the size of the speakers themselves.
However, it’s important to note that floor speakers can take up a fair bit of space, and can be overwhelming in cramped environments.
If you don’t have the space to situate them optimally you may find that your audio experience is actually hampered despite picking up a great set of speakers.
The best course of action is to make sure you’re getting something proportional to the space you have available, which will help you find a great compromise between volume, sound quality, and space.
Despite their size, most floor speakers have come a long way and take up as little space as possible while still delivering excellent performance.
This is one of the primary reasons for looking at floor speakers, as they have some of the best audio quality available.
However, it can be hard to tell which speaker will offer the best sound, as there are a lot of different technologies and measurements that are used by brands to try and make their speakers seem revolutionary.
There are a few things to look out for. The first is to make sure that your speakers have a dedicated tweeter as well as subwoofers.
This will balance out the audio and ensure that the treble is as clear and refined as the bass is deep and rich. This is one of the key features of a floor speaker and can’t be underestimated.
It’s also important to check that the speakers use good quality drivers, as this will affect how efficient the speakers are and how crisp the audio feels.
Speakers need to be able to withstand a considerable amount of movement and deliver a lot of energy, so quality drivers are a must to be able to deliver great performance while ensuring reliability.
There is also the frequency range, which is essentially a representation of how wide a range of sounds a speaker system can produce, so naturally, a wider range means a more versatile speaker, capable of handling various sounds at different extremes of the range.
The human ear, for example, is capable of handling a range of around 20Hz to 20000Hz, however many floor speakers can deliver a far wider range, meaning you’ll often be getting a sound quality to please even the most serious audio critic.
Cone construction is also an important part of the sound quality a speaker can produce, as the design of this component is what makes the sound resonate.
Smaller cones are fine for indoor use or in small spaces and will help you to enjoy a more focused sound. Larger cones will naturally spread the sound over a bigger environment and fill spaces more, so if you have a large room big cones may be something to consider.
A quality finish is really important when it comes to floor speakers. After all, they aren’t exactly inconspicuous!
Making sure your speakers work in your space is a key part of the product that is often overlooked in pursuit of the best audio quality possible.
While it’s probably wise to focus on the audio performance first, it’s as important to make sure you can enjoy your speakers and aren’t trying to hide them away behind curtains or cabinets.
If anything they should be a statement piece, letting people know you’re serious about great audio and really appreciate a great entertainment experience regardless of the medium.
Most designs are sleek and understated, however, some add a few flourishes which can really make them look amazing when paired with the right decor or as part of a larger entertainment system.
Adding to this, clear and well-functioning controls, jacks and ports are all a key part of this, and it’s always good to ensure you’re not getting short-changed on this. Gold plated ports are the industry standard so look out for this, as well as for neat edges and clear labeling.
This is another component that is often overlooked, but it can be a really important thing to take into account. You really need to make sure that your chosen speakers have a footing that will work on the flooring you have available at your place.
If you have a hard floor such as laminate, wood, or anything else liable to show damage, a rubber footing setup is a great choice. Rubber footing will help prevent scratching and damage to your floor and will also help dampen the sound, preventing it from reverberating through the floor quite as much.
If you have soft floors, whether it be a rug or a carpet, a spiked footing setup will be best to help keep your new speaker stable, as well as helping prevent the sound from getting obstructed by thick carpets.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does impedance matter?
Impedance is essentially a measurement of how efficiently the electrical signals are passed through the speaker. The lower the impedance, the more efficiently it handles signals, which is a nice thing to have but might not be essential for everyone.
Typically speakers have a rating of 4, 6, or 8 ohms. One of the main issues can be that budget speakers sometimes have trouble handling low-impedance speakers, so ideally you want to make sure your whole setup has a matching level of quality in this respect.
Matching your amp/receiver to your speakers (if you use one) is essential to avoid issues.
Does wattage matter?
Some people have fallen for the misconception that a speaker’s wattage is an accurate measure of its sound quality and volume. However this isn’t the case, it’s simply a measurement of how much power the system draws.
While it seems like a better system must naturally draw more power, this isn’t the case, and there are a lot of other variables in componentry that can make a lower power speaker better than a higher power speaker.
Wattage can give you an idea of a speaker’s size and how many features it has, and can give a broad idea of performance, however it certainly doesn’t give a definitive answer to whether a speaker will be better than another.
Last update on 2021-10-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API